2500 cases of measles reported in Balochistan in the current year
QUETTA: Balochistan has reported 2,500 cases of measles in the current year and 25 deaths so far. This was revealed at a seminar regarding the national vaccination campaign against measles and rubella at Quetta Press Club on Thursday.
Director-General Health Balochistan, Dr. Ali Nasir Bugti, EPI Chief Dr. Ishaq Panezai, President Press Club Khaliq Baloch, Senior journalist Ayub Tareen, and others addressed the awareness seminar.
Dr. Ishaq Panezai informed that 7,000 teams have been formed to ensure the vaccination of children in Balochistan. The speakers underlined the need for taking effective steps to make sure provision of rubella and measles vaccines to the children.
Campaign to commence from November 15
“We all have to join hands for this cause”, Dr. Bugti stated. He said the health department was committed to vaccinating every child in the province. The anti-measles and rubella campaign would be underway from November 15 to November 27 throughout the country.
The speakers urged the parents, teachers, journalists, and people belonging to all walks of life to support this 12-day long campaign. “Media has to play its role in creating awareness among the masses”, Dr. Ishaq Panezai stated.
Half of Balochistan’s districts affected by measles
Health officials present in the seminar revealed that measles and rubella affected 42 percent of areas of Pakistan and 50 percent of districts of Balochistan. They mentioned that Balochistan reported a majority of measles cases throughout the country.
The DG health informed that measles and rubella vaccines would be administered to children from nine months to 15 years. “One vaccine enough for both diseases”, Dr. Bugti noted. He said parents’ role is important in the vaccination of their children.
Routine immunization in Balochistan is less compared to other provinces of the country. However, the health department in collaboration with donor agencies has improved routine immunization.